Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Essay from Older Post

"Although word “novel” does not actually spring great words and hopes into my head, but it does bring a sense of travel and imagination with it."
This was said by Meghan Koehn in her blog this previous semester.
As a child in my reading experience I would have been terrified of a novel, particularly those novels that I would find intriguing at this point in my life. The sheer size and volume of a novel would do exactly as Meghan said "not actually spring great words and hopes into my head". I would have found a novel to be something of a chore to read due to my inability to comprehend the work that was put into such a piece. Also I would not be able to view it as a work of art like I now know novels to be. I firmly agree with Meghan and would say that she said it truly eloqently describing a novel as containing "a sense of travel and imagination". This seems to true when I think about it even more.
First off it would be necessary to say that when I first hear the world novel that I think of "The Lord of the Rings". Although when most people talk of the astounding nature of this trilogy they refer to the movies instead of the novels. Unfortunately that is what America and the world has come to with technology available to us. Perhaps the novel as we know it will someday be lost or regarded as we currently think of heiroglyhpics that are embedded upon pyramid walls.
However, the epic nature of the novel has fortunately not yet been dismantled by our society and as such people are free to enjoy the infinite possibilies of journey within a novel. Furthermore one can now utilize technology (which will eventually destroy the novel in my opinion) to enjoy novels.
I would like to conclude this post with an excerpt from the movie version of "The Lord of the Rings" and hopefully people will take my word and see that if the movie was good that the novel version is infinitely more incredible.

No comments: